libertyforall
Nov 3, 10:58 AM
Who cares, Flash sucks! Click2Flash works great on Mac to limit Flash's CPU takeover...
iOrlando
Nov 13, 08:05 AM
Good developers dislike regulation, but in the case of apps, I think its needed. Without regulation, I can just go and make some crap app (that wouldn't work) put a $0.99 price and hope for 20-40 fools a month to accidently buy it. Repeat this step probably 100s of times with clueless "developers" who don't know what they are doing. Regulation at least guarantees the app works, although the functionality and usefulness of the app is up for judgement by the end user.
iJohnHenry
Apr 26, 09:41 AM
Not gonna dabble in this hot-button topic, but I did find the banner ad at the top of the page quite amusing. :)

HecubusPro
Sep 4, 05:12 PM
I ordered a 30GB iPod and the standard white 1,83Ghz Macbook on September 2nd, and it said it was due to ship out on the 13th. I therefore thought that they'd upgrade the iPod (more likely than the MB) before sending it to me, but I just got an e-mail saying it shipped today.
Bit bummed that I didn't get the upgrade (well, I can only presume), but at the same time stoked to get my Macbook and iPod more than a week earlier than I first thought!
Just FYI.
It has been reported, and confirmed by apple, the macbook delays have been due to the back-to-school rush, which happens every year. They've been conservative about ship dates during this time.
Bit bummed that I didn't get the upgrade (well, I can only presume), but at the same time stoked to get my Macbook and iPod more than a week earlier than I first thought!
Just FYI.
It has been reported, and confirmed by apple, the macbook delays have been due to the back-to-school rush, which happens every year. They've been conservative about ship dates during this time.
techweenie
Apr 17, 10:07 AM
I'm confused. Are iPad 2s in short supply or not? If they cannot be found at multiple Apple stores, why is Apple broadening distribution to Toys R us?
Broadening distribution -- whether new territories or new outlets in established territories -- usually follows a slow down in sales growth.
The only other possible explanation is that some initial production constraints have been overcome and the product (or particular models of it) is arriving for Apple in numbers exceeding their ability to sell. But then, iPad 2s would be in plentiful stock in Apple stores.
Don't get it.
Broadening distribution -- whether new territories or new outlets in established territories -- usually follows a slow down in sales growth.
The only other possible explanation is that some initial production constraints have been overcome and the product (or particular models of it) is arriving for Apple in numbers exceeding their ability to sell. But then, iPad 2s would be in plentiful stock in Apple stores.
Don't get it.

daneoni
Sep 6, 10:21 AM
Hmm, slightly off topic but maybe we'll see a 40" ACD soon with the 30" dropping to the mid-size and the 24" becoming base. Eeek! 40" of estate...thats alot of estate.
jagolden
Sep 15, 06:29 AM
Unpackage and set up new Nano yesterday.
Yes, the new packaging is nifty and smaller. As to ecologically better, I'm not sure. Less bulk and weight to ship, but the use of the plastic (with all its chemicals) seems like it might wash. Wouldn't have looked as nice but maybe a design similar to the Shuffle packaging (but smaller), then could have used more recycled materials. Just a thought. I don't know - I do care about the environment but don't chain myself to trees. :)
The "new" design is nice. It certainly feels solid in you hand (much as the Mini does). The 1G Nano's always had a delicate feel to them (IMO).
The screen is very bright and clear.
The center button that is now concave is a nice touch. I did not have problems with the convex button shape on earlier models but this is a good design change.
The colors are bright and saturated. Richer than on the Mini's.
The sound quality is even better than before. I was satisfied with the Mini. When I bought a Shuffle, I'd read in many places that the sound was better on the shuffle than the Mini - and it is. However, the sound on the Nano 2G is a big step up. This may be a combination of the player and the new headphone design and fit.
The new headphones definitely have better sound quality than the earlier versions. For me, they fit better. They feel nicer with the soft gasket around the edge. I had not been using the pads with the old h'phones as they came of too easily and were lost almost immediately!
I am very pleased with the purchase. Now if the accessory suppliers will catch up pronto! Even though the overall size between 1G and 2G are essentaily the same, the new "squared off" corners will probably not fit well in the 1G cases. Those 1G rounded corners shaved off a lot of space.
Yes, the new packaging is nifty and smaller. As to ecologically better, I'm not sure. Less bulk and weight to ship, but the use of the plastic (with all its chemicals) seems like it might wash. Wouldn't have looked as nice but maybe a design similar to the Shuffle packaging (but smaller), then could have used more recycled materials. Just a thought. I don't know - I do care about the environment but don't chain myself to trees. :)
The "new" design is nice. It certainly feels solid in you hand (much as the Mini does). The 1G Nano's always had a delicate feel to them (IMO).
The screen is very bright and clear.
The center button that is now concave is a nice touch. I did not have problems with the convex button shape on earlier models but this is a good design change.
The colors are bright and saturated. Richer than on the Mini's.
The sound quality is even better than before. I was satisfied with the Mini. When I bought a Shuffle, I'd read in many places that the sound was better on the shuffle than the Mini - and it is. However, the sound on the Nano 2G is a big step up. This may be a combination of the player and the new headphone design and fit.
The new headphones definitely have better sound quality than the earlier versions. For me, they fit better. They feel nicer with the soft gasket around the edge. I had not been using the pads with the old h'phones as they came of too easily and were lost almost immediately!
I am very pleased with the purchase. Now if the accessory suppliers will catch up pronto! Even though the overall size between 1G and 2G are essentaily the same, the new "squared off" corners will probably not fit well in the 1G cases. Those 1G rounded corners shaved off a lot of space.
vi2867
Mar 28, 02:43 PM
Ok, the radioshack stores will get a total of one each.:p
FriarNurgle
Apr 12, 01:20 PM
Exactly. Our economy did not go down the crapper because of lack of manufacturing...but it certainly doesn't help.
How is it that in THIS ECONOMY the US Gov't can't entice Apple/Foxconn/whoever to build here in the US?! Come on...you're telling me that the US Gov't either said a)nope...not gonna budge...our policies/rules are the same or b)here's our best offer (yet it was still much worse than opening in Brazil?!)
$12 Billion is a lot of money for a company opening a manufacturing plant.
As for your tax comment...I've always wondered and firmly believe that 100% of all US citizens should pay the exact same tax rate. Whites don't pay differently than blacks right? Catholics don't pay more than Muslims right? Aren't we all supposed to be "equal" in this nation? Make the darn tax rate something universal like 20% and every SINGLE YEAR we all know exactly what we're paying and the gov't knows exactly how much they're getting. Budget problems and crying will be basically wiped out.
Thank you. Don't forget to add the corporations to that flat tax in addition to eliminating all tax loopholes/breaks. Cutting NPR and Union collective bargaining rights are not going to solve our fiscal mess. If we can't openly discuss the stupid wars then move the spotlight to the Corporatocracy this country has become.
How is it that in THIS ECONOMY the US Gov't can't entice Apple/Foxconn/whoever to build here in the US?! Come on...you're telling me that the US Gov't either said a)nope...not gonna budge...our policies/rules are the same or b)here's our best offer (yet it was still much worse than opening in Brazil?!)
$12 Billion is a lot of money for a company opening a manufacturing plant.
As for your tax comment...I've always wondered and firmly believe that 100% of all US citizens should pay the exact same tax rate. Whites don't pay differently than blacks right? Catholics don't pay more than Muslims right? Aren't we all supposed to be "equal" in this nation? Make the darn tax rate something universal like 20% and every SINGLE YEAR we all know exactly what we're paying and the gov't knows exactly how much they're getting. Budget problems and crying will be basically wiped out.
Thank you. Don't forget to add the corporations to that flat tax in addition to eliminating all tax loopholes/breaks. Cutting NPR and Union collective bargaining rights are not going to solve our fiscal mess. If we can't openly discuss the stupid wars then move the spotlight to the Corporatocracy this country has become.
fmolly
Nov 27, 01:58 PM
Beatles are not my generation so I don't know a lot about them..but weren't they into free spirits and happiness and what not? Why are they all about suing and being greedy now?
Edit: which of them are even alive anymore to profit? Or is this the doing of their heirs?
Half the band are still alive- Ringo and Paul Macartney are still going strong. Maccas never out of the news over here!
Fmolly
Edit: which of them are even alive anymore to profit? Or is this the doing of their heirs?
Half the band are still alive- Ringo and Paul Macartney are still going strong. Maccas never out of the news over here!
Fmolly
dashcs
Nov 4, 07:19 PM
So you think that Adobe is bad because CS3 does not run on Snow Leopard?
Think again.
CS3 has been published a long while ago, and Snow Leopard is brand new. A lot of system libraries have changed. I do not expect Windows 3.1 software to run correctly on Windows 7 either.
Are there any Mac developers out there?
Whats your point here?
You state old software wouldn't run on a new OS yet you go off and rant in the rest of your post.
Apple must have caused software vendors to rewrite their software a gazillion times:
- they switched from the 68K to the PowerPC to Intel
Software vendors writing their software gazillion times...please.
Apple made it easier for software vendors.
When going to intel from PPC,software vendors were freaking out that their software wouldn't run.Guess what,Apple came out with Rosetta.There was no problems
- they switched from OS9 to Carbon to Cocoa
- for Snow Leopard, if you want to run as a 64-bit app, you have to switch to the Cocoa libraries, and much of Carbon is deprecated.
Apples next OS will most likely drop Carbon altogether. I have written programs for the Mac for a long time now, and I have spent 75% of my productivity just rewriting my programs over and over again to adopt them to Apple's library changes.
Woah Carbon was for OS9 Developers
And with OS X,Apple has carbon and cocoa.
They had theses 2 API for such a long time,they should I just went to Cocoa years ago but no they stuck with 2 to help the software developers.
Besides Carbon is crap,only argument carbon developers used was
"Well the Finder.App was made in carbon so carbon is a better then cocoa"
lol
Adobe is big, but I bet that many of their Mac programmers are busy just following Apple as they try to leave software vendors in the dust because they switch system libraries and CPUs at will.
Only thing here thats valid if the company develops in carbon.
And for Poor adobe thats the case.
Maybe at this point adobe CS5 can actually be we-written from scratch instead of adding extra code to a already horrible broken coded program which is what Adobe being doing for the past couple of years.
Think again.
CS3 has been published a long while ago, and Snow Leopard is brand new. A lot of system libraries have changed. I do not expect Windows 3.1 software to run correctly on Windows 7 either.
Are there any Mac developers out there?
Whats your point here?
You state old software wouldn't run on a new OS yet you go off and rant in the rest of your post.
Apple must have caused software vendors to rewrite their software a gazillion times:
- they switched from the 68K to the PowerPC to Intel
Software vendors writing their software gazillion times...please.
Apple made it easier for software vendors.
When going to intel from PPC,software vendors were freaking out that their software wouldn't run.Guess what,Apple came out with Rosetta.There was no problems
- they switched from OS9 to Carbon to Cocoa
- for Snow Leopard, if you want to run as a 64-bit app, you have to switch to the Cocoa libraries, and much of Carbon is deprecated.
Apples next OS will most likely drop Carbon altogether. I have written programs for the Mac for a long time now, and I have spent 75% of my productivity just rewriting my programs over and over again to adopt them to Apple's library changes.
Woah Carbon was for OS9 Developers
And with OS X,Apple has carbon and cocoa.
They had theses 2 API for such a long time,they should I just went to Cocoa years ago but no they stuck with 2 to help the software developers.
Besides Carbon is crap,only argument carbon developers used was
"Well the Finder.App was made in carbon so carbon is a better then cocoa"
lol
Adobe is big, but I bet that many of their Mac programmers are busy just following Apple as they try to leave software vendors in the dust because they switch system libraries and CPUs at will.
Only thing here thats valid if the company develops in carbon.
And for Poor adobe thats the case.
Maybe at this point adobe CS5 can actually be we-written from scratch instead of adding extra code to a already horrible broken coded program which is what Adobe being doing for the past couple of years.
psychometry
Nov 6, 11:11 PM
Slap a Core 2 Duo in it, bump it up to a 15 or 15.4 inch screen and watch it become Apples best selling notebook ever.
:)
And don't have a single 12/13in model in existence? I don't think so.
Some people want small form factors. It's a shame Apple thinks form factors and power are in a 1-to-1 relationship. Some people want powerful laptops with smaller displays (12in PB is no more) or less powerful laptops with larger displays (15in iBook is no more). Hopefully Apple learns to stop limiting themselves in this way. Think differently differently.
:)
And don't have a single 12/13in model in existence? I don't think so.
Some people want small form factors. It's a shame Apple thinks form factors and power are in a 1-to-1 relationship. Some people want powerful laptops with smaller displays (12in PB is no more) or less powerful laptops with larger displays (15in iBook is no more). Hopefully Apple learns to stop limiting themselves in this way. Think differently differently.
sarge
Apr 11, 09:37 AM
Don't worry about it. The guys who can't afford to pay for it and pirate it are usually the folks who just want to "hoard" it rather than use it. If they had any talent to begin with, they'd be making enough money with the tool where the cost of it would be meaningless anyway. ;)
I can't count the number of people I've met whose livelihoods are made as graphic artists or photographers and are using pirated software. Hard for me to see any justification in that...
I can't count the number of people I've met whose livelihoods are made as graphic artists or photographers and are using pirated software. Hard for me to see any justification in that...
kerpow
Sep 12, 05:36 AM
Interesting article on Vista. I expect MS will copy Apple and build the next OS around a Linux or FreeBSD kernel.
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1868642,00.html
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1868642,00.html
drlunanerd
Nov 8, 08:55 AM
The 2.0 model also includes 4MB L2 cache instead of "just" 2MB L2 cache... remember the days when we used to measure L2 in increments of 256KB?
No, I can't actually. I'm typing this on a dual 533MHz G4 with 1MB L2 cache per processor - so 2MB total. Same as the Core Duo!
No, I can't actually. I'm typing this on a dual 533MHz G4 with 1MB L2 cache per processor - so 2MB total. Same as the Core Duo!

lowbatteries
Apr 14, 11:06 AM
Sad part is, as adoption increases...so will viruses/malware/trojans/etc.
Best analogy Ive heard is:
Windows 7 is a house with bars on the windows, and industrial locks on the doors...in Baltimore.
OSX is a house with no locks, in the middle of nowhere.
The security-through-obscurity myth of OS X has long been debunked. Do you know what the most used computer OS in the world is? Linux. And there are very, very few viruses for linux.
The rampant virus ecosystem is a flaw in Windows, not an inherent fact of all operating systems.
Macs have a decent market share and a very large mindshare, but yet are still virus free (though there have been a couple trojans that fizzled out).
Best analogy Ive heard is:
Windows 7 is a house with bars on the windows, and industrial locks on the doors...in Baltimore.
OSX is a house with no locks, in the middle of nowhere.
The security-through-obscurity myth of OS X has long been debunked. Do you know what the most used computer OS in the world is? Linux. And there are very, very few viruses for linux.
The rampant virus ecosystem is a flaw in Windows, not an inherent fact of all operating systems.
Macs have a decent market share and a very large mindshare, but yet are still virus free (though there have been a couple trojans that fizzled out).

Object-X
Aug 4, 12:00 AM
Name two things not on that banner? iSight and Cinema display. :D
GGJstudios
Nov 23, 09:26 PM
All this proves is that Beatles fans like to waste their money repurchasing music they already own just because it's available in a new format. I bet that most of the albums and individual songs sold were purchased by people who already own that album/song.
It's not wasting money. Buying a digital copy results in higher quality than ripping the original vinyl albums, and buying remastered releases results in better quality than original releases.
Just because you don't have the ability to understand the importance or the appeal of Beatles music doesn't mean those who can are wasting money by buying what they like. It's really amazing how many posters like to criticize something, just because they don't personally like it. That's why millions of musicians can be successful, because there are so many musical tastes.
Like what you like. Buy what you want. But don't be so infantile as to attack those whose tastes differ from yours.
It's not wasting money. Buying a digital copy results in higher quality than ripping the original vinyl albums, and buying remastered releases results in better quality than original releases.
Just because you don't have the ability to understand the importance or the appeal of Beatles music doesn't mean those who can are wasting money by buying what they like. It's really amazing how many posters like to criticize something, just because they don't personally like it. That's why millions of musicians can be successful, because there are so many musical tastes.
Like what you like. Buy what you want. But don't be so infantile as to attack those whose tastes differ from yours.

skellener
Sep 12, 02:15 PM
Another thing that will NEVER happen is an Apple DVR. iTV is for use with iTunes downloadable content. Apple will never release a recording device. It's not their model. They would rather you ditch your satellite and cable and go with getting your shows from iTunes - hence the iTV.
Jcoz
Mar 28, 12:55 PM
Thats all I ever get there. Pretty much everything else they sell is overpriced.
Alot of people use them for mobile phone services
Alot of people use them for mobile phone services
partyBoy
Oct 16, 06:36 PM
Oh, I'm terribly sorry. I answered your question in a rush, so I did not read carefully.
It's bought in The Netherlands, where I live. The store next door had these so I picked one up when I drove by. So, yeah.:rolleyes:
wow...the store next door...never heard of that store:rolleyes:
It's bought in The Netherlands, where I live. The store next door had these so I picked one up when I drove by. So, yeah.:rolleyes:
wow...the store next door...never heard of that store:rolleyes:
gekko513
Aug 18, 12:29 PM
And apparently now they admit that it was bull-****.
http://www.tuaw.com/2006/08/18/secureworks-admits-to-falsifying-macbook-wireless-hack/
;)
Now, isn't that something. What a great way of proving the 'Get a Mac' commercials wrong. If anything, the myth that Macs are invulnerable is strengthened when they make up lies and are caught.
http://www.tuaw.com/2006/08/18/secureworks-admits-to-falsifying-macbook-wireless-hack/
;)
Now, isn't that something. What a great way of proving the 'Get a Mac' commercials wrong. If anything, the myth that Macs are invulnerable is strengthened when they make up lies and are caught.
Pandaboots
Jan 11, 05:04 PM
Wimax in Apple machines?
That's what I'm thinking. With Intel backing Clearwire and Apple and Intel are in love, I bet Apple will announce Wimax support on all new computers and devices. Ater all 2008 is the roll out for Wimax. Glad I own shares of Clearwire and Apple.
That's what I'm thinking. With Intel backing Clearwire and Apple and Intel are in love, I bet Apple will announce Wimax support on all new computers and devices. Ater all 2008 is the roll out for Wimax. Glad I own shares of Clearwire and Apple.
zap2
Sep 12, 04:05 PM
Green iPod..I wanted a Green Mini, but my local Apple store was out when I went to buy it, but they only had Gold..so I went with it..now I can get a Green one!


No comments:
Post a Comment