Flowbee
Aug 7, 10:49 PM
I've never really paid much attention to Apple's server software, but the Leopard Server sneak peek was pretty interesting.
bwilfong
Aug 24, 12:58 PM
The one listed by Vand0576 is not the one currently listed by the apple site.
Multimedia
Aug 29, 05:00 PM
Perfect � Not Only Is Vista Frickin' Buggy Inferior � It Cost $110 More Too :eek:
Leopard will eat Vista for breakfast. :)
Leopard will eat Vista for breakfast. :)
jobberwacky
Oct 27, 05:31 AM
Isn't everyone assuming here that the root problem is a heatsink issue? Has Apple ever announced that it was? Perhaps it isn't at all, or that's only part of the equation, and it is in fact an SMC control problem.
The heatsink most definitively the culprit in my case. I had my MB 1.83GHz repaired three days ago and haven't had a RSD since. The heatsink was replaced, but I didn't get a free screw.
The heatsink most definitively the culprit in my case. I had my MB 1.83GHz repaired three days ago and haven't had a RSD since. The heatsink was replaced, but I didn't get a free screw.
flyfish29
Aug 24, 01:32 PM
didn't see this mentioned- but I guess there are 1.1 million in US and 700,000 abroad so that of course totals the 1.8 mentioned on some reports.
So now we know exactly why apple didn't post their own link yet- site can't handle 1.8 million hits at once huh?:D
So now we know exactly why apple didn't post their own link yet- site can't handle 1.8 million hits at once huh?:D
wildmac
Nov 9, 10:20 AM
First off, to all the Flash haters, you guys are the myopic people that prevent real progress. Sure there are a lot of bad flash webpages, but there is plenty of content out there, games, video, and more that runs on Flash and you don't know it. Video is the king, and for some reason Apple doesn't want you viewing video apart from what they sell you. It's all about the $$$. Want proof? Apple added their own Flash player that only works with Utube. They had to do that or they would have been killed in the press, but still they have their own custom flash player for UTube video, but block all else.
Again, it's all about the $$$. They want to SELL you video, they don't want you getting it for free, or worse yet, buying it from someone else.
It's all part of Apple's arrogance. Now I love my MacPro, but I'm forced to buy Dell monitors because Apple keeps changing the connectors. The latest Apple 24" monitor has a cable that's too short, and an adapter that requires you to buy a new video card, or a new laptop. Get real Apple. You are going to chase people away.
Again, it's all about the $$$. They want to SELL you video, they don't want you getting it for free, or worse yet, buying it from someone else.
It's all part of Apple's arrogance. Now I love my MacPro, but I'm forced to buy Dell monitors because Apple keeps changing the connectors. The latest Apple 24" monitor has a cable that's too short, and an adapter that requires you to buy a new video card, or a new laptop. Get real Apple. You are going to chase people away.
milo
Oct 16, 03:56 PM
You know what, Steve never said Apple would NEVER do a video iPod. What he said was that video just didn't make sense at the time. For one thing, he said that there was practically zero demand from iPod users for video. Then he qualified his statement by saying that the situation might be different in the future, but the media being what it is, his comment was reduced to the overly simplistic (but easy to report), "APPLE WILL NEVER MAKE A VIDEO IPOD."
He didn't really say that either.
http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=11002_0_1_0_C
"You're always fighting things that are opposed to each other. As an example, take the PlayStation 3. It's a great game machine, but it's not such a great music player. There are many reasons for that, but the biggest reason is that it doesn't fit in your pocket, does it? Games need nice big screens. Music players need to fit in your pocket. So you have to pick one and optimize for it, and the second thing you do will certainly be suboptimal. Maybe you can do it, but it will be suboptimal.
So you can do video on these devices if you want to, but the things that are suboptimal about it are the screen size and the battery life�things like that. The fundamental problem here is...Headphones are a miraculous thing. You put on a pair of headphones and you get the same experience as with a great pair of speakers. Well, there's no such thing as headphones for video. There's not something I can carry with me�something I can put on�that will give me the same experience that I get when I'm watching my 50-inch plasma display at home. And until somebody invents that, you're going to have these opposing constraints."
Makes it sound like no video ipod, and yet he released one just a couple months later, even though the big constraints he listed hadn't been eliminated.
He didn't really say that either.
http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=11002_0_1_0_C
"You're always fighting things that are opposed to each other. As an example, take the PlayStation 3. It's a great game machine, but it's not such a great music player. There are many reasons for that, but the biggest reason is that it doesn't fit in your pocket, does it? Games need nice big screens. Music players need to fit in your pocket. So you have to pick one and optimize for it, and the second thing you do will certainly be suboptimal. Maybe you can do it, but it will be suboptimal.
So you can do video on these devices if you want to, but the things that are suboptimal about it are the screen size and the battery life�things like that. The fundamental problem here is...Headphones are a miraculous thing. You put on a pair of headphones and you get the same experience as with a great pair of speakers. Well, there's no such thing as headphones for video. There's not something I can carry with me�something I can put on�that will give me the same experience that I get when I'm watching my 50-inch plasma display at home. And until somebody invents that, you're going to have these opposing constraints."
Makes it sound like no video ipod, and yet he released one just a couple months later, even though the big constraints he listed hadn't been eliminated.

blueflame
Jul 22, 09:19 PM
apple needs to fix the video handling of movies in itunes before anyhting can really be done, its a real mess right now
andreas
andreas
Lesser Evets
Jun 25, 07:47 AM
Not if the stand allowed the iMac to be parallel to the desk surface as well as perpendicular.
That is what people aren't understanding. They see something and imagine it being the same design despite function changing. If they do touchscreen, it won't be long (if not instant) before they redo how it sits on the table.
A design that allows the screen to go relatively flat and vertical is necessary. This design should have been done already 3 years ago.
That is what people aren't understanding. They see something and imagine it being the same design despite function changing. If they do touchscreen, it won't be long (if not instant) before they redo how it sits on the table.
A design that allows the screen to go relatively flat and vertical is necessary. This design should have been done already 3 years ago.
mohsy90
Apr 17, 06:52 PM
So i went to best buy and they didnt get any iPads in. Only reservations for $100. What the eff was the point of the whole promotion crap and big ad in the newspapers. What a disappointment (nothing new)? Anyways i went over to toys r us at around 12, and bought their first iPad of the day, funny thing is, is that they opened at 9 am. How the hell does best buy get no iPads and our toys r us down the street gets 5?
mfr1340
Apr 17, 11:07 AM
Just returned from Best Buy after I went to their Nation wide sales event, and they haven't recived any for over 1 1/2 weeks. They are selling reservations for future stock, for $100.00. What a load of s__t. If they had said that they didn't have any, and they were just tring to see how many customers would show up to put down a $100.00 deposit, with no est. of time of when you would recive your order. Thats wrong. At $4.50 a gallon of gas, I can't keep going down to see if they have any.
iliketyla
Mar 28, 07:16 PM
I suggest a thread on vehicle selection. My new bud, iliketyla, and I are on the case. He, iliketyia, has a scooter and I have a well equipped SUV. My nano is hooked into the sound system his, I suspect, is hooked into ear buds.
So, my dream car is the Audi A8. How about you?
Haha! Yes sir, got some Skull Candy earbuds that provide premium sound quality.
My dream car is Eleanor from Gone In Sixty Seconds.
So, my dream car is the Audi A8. How about you?
Haha! Yes sir, got some Skull Candy earbuds that provide premium sound quality.
My dream car is Eleanor from Gone In Sixty Seconds.
tk421
Nov 27, 07:21 PM
I worked in radio at the time. That list was fake.
I'm sorry; the list was real (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_Communications). It wasn't an official ban per se, more of a suggestion, sent by Clear Channel Communications to stations they owned.
I'm sorry; the list was real (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_Communications). It wasn't an official ban per se, more of a suggestion, sent by Clear Channel Communications to stations they owned.
wordoflife
May 4, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't be a bad idea. Even if they just made "patches" so we aren't downloading half a gb of updates every 2 weeks.
adder7712
Dec 6, 11:04 PM
I really hope HTML 5 video will be widely adopted and we will be less dependent of Flash.
And is also an open standard.
And is also an open standard.
rjohnstone
Apr 14, 11:34 AM
Same manufacturer does not mean the same battery. Apple designed their battery from scratch, no other computer manufacturer uses the same battery as Apple. I'm floored at how fast it charges, how long it lasts, and how little charge its lost (its at 90% after 9 months and 172 cycles).
I'll call BS on that.
Apple does not design their own batteries. The casing perhaps, but not the core.
They spec them to a vendor. Then vendor does the actual design work.
As for performance, my Dell battery goes from 5% to full charge in a little over an hour.
Not bad in my book.
Hell the battery in my ThinkPad T410 goes from dead to full charge 30 to 45 minutes. And that thing is a monster.
The stock 6 cell last roughly 6 hours (kept it as a spare) and the 9 cell lasts over 11.
I'll call BS on that.
Apple does not design their own batteries. The casing perhaps, but not the core.
They spec them to a vendor. Then vendor does the actual design work.
As for performance, my Dell battery goes from 5% to full charge in a little over an hour.
Not bad in my book.
Hell the battery in my ThinkPad T410 goes from dead to full charge 30 to 45 minutes. And that thing is a monster.
The stock 6 cell last roughly 6 hours (kept it as a spare) and the 9 cell lasts over 11.
ceruleanventure
Jul 22, 10:12 PM
First my poor Palm Zire got replaced as an mp3 player by my ipod....and now this lol. Goodbye Zire :D
whatever
Sep 6, 10:18 AM
May I be the first to say: Where's our desktop?
If you're referring to a Mac Pro, I know that mine shipped last night from CA and is currently in East Boston. Should be here this afternoon and then I can finally connect up my 30" ACD.
If you're referring to a Mac Pro, I know that mine shipped last night from CA and is currently in East Boston. Should be here this afternoon and then I can finally connect up my 30" ACD.
Bonsai1214
Mar 25, 01:09 PM
I think with patching, there's a chance that something can go wrong and cause the phone not to work. its the same rationale behind Sony making you download the whole OS in an update for PS3.
buddhahacker
Nov 12, 07:19 PM
His approach is not the most mature. My guess is that he has a better job lined up and simply used his departure to get some notoriety. Grow up!
Popeye206
Mar 29, 09:33 AM
That sounds like it makes sense, but does ATT have LTE coverage? or will they by October?
AT&T is working on 4G... like them all. None of them have wide spread 4g yet. But it's coming. In my area it will be probably 2 years, but it's coming. This is why I don't think 4G is such a big deal right now. Besides... I use the 3G only when on the road and most of the time the speed is fine for email and casual browsing. 4G would be really nice... but it's not the "big thing" for me. And I don't think it's the "big thing" for most people as much as they would like to think so. I know I'm on WiFi most of the time anyway.
AT&T is working on 4G... like them all. None of them have wide spread 4g yet. But it's coming. In my area it will be probably 2 years, but it's coming. This is why I don't think 4G is such a big deal right now. Besides... I use the 3G only when on the road and most of the time the speed is fine for email and casual browsing. 4G would be really nice... but it's not the "big thing" for me. And I don't think it's the "big thing" for most people as much as they would like to think so. I know I'm on WiFi most of the time anyway.
Thunderhawks
Mar 25, 04:14 PM
Ouch.
I get 36 hours on my Droid X without any issues...
Do you switch it on?
I get 36 hours on my Droid X without any issues...
Do you switch it on?
JonB3Z
Nov 2, 06:27 PM
What Adobe is saying is the simple truth: They can't provide Flash due to Apple's app restrictions. If that's "pointing the finger," it's pointing it accurately.
Whether it is good or bad that Apple has those restrictions is a separate debate, but Adobe is just explaining to users who might want Flash on the iPhone why it isn't available, something that MR readers probably already know but that a lot of iPhone users may not.
Whether it is good or bad that Apple has those restrictions is a separate debate, but Adobe is just explaining to users who might want Flash on the iPhone why it isn't available, something that MR readers probably already know but that a lot of iPhone users may not.
hulugu
Aug 19, 12:26 AM
The macbook was hacked in 60 seconds. Why it was hacked or whoose software was responsible is irrelevant. The macbook was HACKED, PERIOD!.
End of story.
:eek: :mad:
That the MacBook was hacked using a third-party card and third-party drivers isn't irrelevant, it's the whole point. :rolleyes:
There's an important difference between standard configuration and this set-up which makes it so much easier for the MacBook to be hacked. Your cheerleading aside, no Mac is hack-proof, but there's a big difference between breaking a lock and opening it because someone left the keys in the door.
End of story.
:eek: :mad:
That the MacBook was hacked using a third-party card and third-party drivers isn't irrelevant, it's the whole point. :rolleyes:
There's an important difference between standard configuration and this set-up which makes it so much easier for the MacBook to be hacked. Your cheerleading aside, no Mac is hack-proof, but there's a big difference between breaking a lock and opening it because someone left the keys in the door.


No comments:
Post a Comment